Monday, October 8, 2012

My Impressions of the Mist!

Finally a 90!


Oh my what a grind. I've played this game since 2007 and I've seen some grinds to level and get rep. I don't think any of the past stuff I've done in game come close to how LONG the grind was from 88-90. It honestly felt that was seven levels worth of work. Even the quest rewards, XP and gold was amazing. It felt like the my XP bar never moved. Mostly I had rested XP too. I just can't image going to another toon now and starting that grid.

So what do I think of MoP. The scenery is beautiful. They really did a nice job on the art work. Not really liking the mobs but the buildings and landscape are really put together well. I haven't got all the instances done but what I have seen they did nice work on that too. I can't wait to see the rest.

Now on the difficulty level from what I've seen - The 5 mans are a joke. I'm in starter gear and the things I've seen and done are laughable. Cata set the bar much higher on entry level difficulty. Gear isn't horrible, the quest rewards seem to be pretty nice. Not the greens but anything blue and higher. At this point, by the time people hit epic level of gearing, we will be doing 5 mans as fast as we did towards the end of Wrath. It will be a pull fest. In fact there is ZERO fear by the dps on ninja pulling.

I'll say this, I do not run a damage meter as a tank or ever for that matter. Due to this I've almost figured out I have and internal clock that tells me how the DPS is going. I've been linked a few times and I fear tank damage output is TOO low at this moment.

Up until level 87 I quested as prot as I have done for 87 levels. Chasey was leveled as prot from level 1. At 88 it felt like I was back at level 32, I could honestly go to the rest room and come back with half a mobs health left to finish. Pulling 5 mobs as I have in the past really lead to trying to keep alive more than anything else. The mob really started to hit hard. As I got to 89 to 90 I had to actually quest as Ret. This saddened me but it made killing go just a tad quicker. Level 90 mobs had roughly 400K health. So I guess you could say the quest mobs are highly tuned and the 5 mans are well....easy sauce.

I do understand that there is a new feature to the game in called challenge mode but I don't know if running 5 mans (normal, heroic and challenge) mode add variety. It seems like there is just EXTRA lockouts. I dunno, I haven't done them yet, so my judgement is with out knowledge.

On being Prot!

I like tanking so far. Threat is a no brainier picking up mobs after a bone head ninja pulls while the healer has zero man isn't tough. It feels like we are missing another attack or a bit of a lull in the rotation. I love holy prism, my 7th tier talent. Not huge damage but enough and the heal is pretty nice, when running with DK's who think there is zero reason to move out of the goop, fire or black shadow stuff on the floor, it gives the healer a second to realize he is dealing with a retard...lol

Brewmaster!

So when I hit 89 I decided to do the brewmaster boss. Coren has SO many HP's and abilities that I never knew he did. My 1st time I did it, the healer was 90 and a rogue was 90, the others were 89 and we got it done. It went smoothly and fast. Not DPS fast but kind of like any other time you ran Coren just to get the dodge trinket.

My next time I wasn't so lucky. I had a druid healer who forgot he was a healer and went kitty and a Ret pally. ( I don't know if anyone has noticed, Ret pally's are pretty squishy) I died almost instantly, well as soon as Ardent Defender went off. He battle rezed me. I got all the mobs set up and I proceeded to get kegged 4 times straight. (Yes DPS was that slow that I was able to get kegged 4 times). All of a sudden after the wipe, the talk of how bad the tank is because he can't keep aggro starts between the Druid and Ret. I wasn't aware that while stunned for 2 minutes of a 4 minute fight where I can do nothing but wander about until the debuff wears off mean I'm a bad TANK. But oh well it happens. The group fell apart, I requeued and low and behold the Druid and Ret were there again.I know I'm out of practice tanking but really, if no one picks up Ursula when she pop's out and the DPS is too slow to kill the boss, that fight sucks. The Druid starts to berate me and leaves after dropping this dandy little line. I'm not healing that suck ass tank ever again. My pride was hurt.

Next group full of 89's downs boss no issue at all.

The stam trinket is NOT dropping, so I que'd one more time. This time we had a few 90s and a Druid healer from my realm. We wipe! We rez, run back in and pull again. We wipe again. I get a whisper saying I don't know how to tank so please don't ever do it again. He then drops group. 10 seconds later we get another healer, I pull and WHAMO, down goes Coren and my trinket drops.  I know I shouldn't have, I just couldn't resist but I sent him a tell telling him for some reason, a different healer was the key to downing the boss.

To be fair to all involved I did announce to the group, if Ursula isn't OT or kited I will get kegged (stunned) and we will not get the boss down. The hunter tanked Ursula with her pet and it went fast.

Moral of that story is, don't underestimate any fight, even if you have done it hundreds of times because you never know the group you are going to be with. Oh and good DPS is really nice to have.

TL;DR-
MoP is grindy and takes long to level. They did a nice job with the art work. Killing stuff in Prot is a burdensome process, 5 mans are easy, quest mobs are high in health and Coren Direbrew is not easy when people can't just faceroll the boss.





No comments:

Post a Comment